Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh

+2
piccolina
becca
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 10:06 am

becca

becca

its unbelievebel how thing work in this country.
am going to wright serena in for school in sept,but i really dont like the way they do that.

points!!!!!!
god i think we only have like 10points.
how on earth is a mother that does not work and want to.but has her child ad home and no money for asilo ore babysitter ever going to find a job

if they dont take your child because she wont have enough points???
amso desprent as i really want her to go to school and she wants too.

so am keeping mine fingers crossed and that we are going to getting a place.

2schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 10:26 am

piccolina

Yeah it's a shame about the points. On the other hand if you do manage to get your kid into the public asilo nido it's incredibly cheap compared to what my friends pay back in Australia or in the US where as far as I know there is no state subsidised childcare. And private daycares here are very inexpensive too compared to back home. And it's free from age 3 onwards! Basketball

IMO if they're going to have to ration the state subsidised child care places, the points system they have is fair. I guess if you can afford to have one parent at home you can probably afford private daycare...(sorry if I offend anyone - this is just my opinion! bounce )

3schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 12:18 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

What the points? How do they work? it sounds a bit strange Shocked

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

4schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 4:45 pm

becca

becca

hi claire,
you get point on the formyou need to fill in for the school.
like 10points if you live in the neiborhood.i dont know 13points if you got a older brother ore sister ad that school.
more points if both parends are working etc.

piccola i dont agree that if one parend stay home you can also pay for prived daycare.
am home with serena but we can not even buy a car.

am living on 50eur a week.mine husband pay for the food.we are lucky because we live with mine parends in law.a house we can not pay for.

yes there are parend how can mabey pay for prived asilo but not everybody.
otherwise serena would be in one.

thats how i think about it.

any way hope we are going to be lucky for sept

5schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 4:57 pm

sarahfonto

Son of Thor is nearly ten now so this is all from distant memory, but I remember the panic descending when it turned out to be so much harder to sort out child care than I thought it would be.

I just gave up on the public nido's in Milan because I discovered too late that you needed to get their names down as soon as you saw a blue line on the test.

After much searching and swift exits from private nurseries where kids were not being cared for in a way I was comfortable with I found a fantastic one just up the road just in the nick of time. It wasn't cheap and put the screws on my budget even with what was left over from my pay, but I wanted to be able to go to work and not have to worry about where I was leaving him.

For those of us who don't have the "Nonni as free daycare" option it can be really tough balancing out the financial implications and the peace of mind aspects.

One choice that worked really well for a couple of colleagues was a private deal with a neighbour who is a SAHM. One did child care sharing and the other paid a very reasonable amount to leave her child with her lovely neighbour and her little one while she was at work. The alternative, if it appeals (personally I would rather have stuck pins in my eyes than do this), is to be the neighbour who babysits somebody else's kid/kids while they are at work. With the "full immersion in English" aspect I'm sure there would be takers who would pay over the usual rates for that kind of set up.

If you have neighbours/friends who use the all day babysitter option, maybe see if they are up for a cost sharing option by pooling your little one with theirs.

http://homeschoolinitaly.blogspot.com/

6schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 9:03 pm

jmisgro

jmisgro

Sophia mentioned these points to me this week. She's in 5th grade and I cannot see how having no points is going to keep her from media school.
PLus if we find a property she may not go to school in Oliveri next year!

http://www.litlequeenrules.blogspot.com

7schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 9:29 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

I guess if you can afford to have one parent at home you can probably afford private daycare...(sorry if I offend anyone - this is just my opinion! schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Icon_bounce )[/quote]

It's a kindof paradox. I know people who work but don't have a contract ...say they are a cleaner, or like me a private teacher, you have no proof you work therefore you do not qualify for the points. But u really need your kids to go to school so u can work. And if you could get a job with a contract you would, but no one is giving u them so you are forced to work in nero...it is a vicious circle....and those in finacially weak positions suffer the most. You can't work if your kids don't go to school...but u can't get your kids into school unless u work.And then when they start primary school and you think finally you can go back to work, OH NO...they put your kid in part time becasue u don't work..............are u not meant to work until they are 18??????
For e.g. My husband earns about 1100, our rent is 650. Tell me how we are supposed to survive if I don't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Icon_mad

8schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 16th January 2010, 10:02 pm

piccolina

Yeah same here - our rent is ridiculous here in Rome and both my husband and i have to work full time - there's no choice for us. No nonni, no relatives willing to pay our rent or let us live with them.

I can see how if you have to work in nero ie you're a cleaner or something the childcare thing would be difficult. I had a contract (co.co.pro) when I taught English here - I worked for one of the big chain schools. But I guess if you work for yourself you get to make a bit more money.

Anyway I don't mean to imply that stay at home mums are all rich or anything but I do think it's fair to give more points for getting into state subsidised daycare to families where both parents work full time. I don't think it would be fair (assuming that there aren't that many places) for families with one stay at home parent to take up all the places.

The problem with working in nero in Italy is a huge one - but probably too big a problem for this thread... pale

9schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 17th January 2010, 10:11 am

becca

becca

Lizzie wrote:I guess if you can afford to have one parent at home you can probably afford private daycare...(sorry if I offend anyone - this is just my opinion! schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Icon_bounce )

It's a kindof paradox. I know people who work but don't have a contract ...say they are a cleaner, or like me a private teacher, you have no proof you work therefore you do not qualify for the points. But u really need your kids to go to school so u can work. And if you could get a job with a contract you would, but no one is giving u them so you are forced to work in nero...it is a vicious circle....and those in finacially weak positions suffer the most. You can't work if your kids don't go to school...but u can't get your kids into school unless u work.And then when they start primary school and you think finally you can go back to work, OH NO...they put your kid in part time becasue u don't work..............are u not meant to work until they are 18??????
For e.g. My husband earns about 1100, our rent is 650. Tell me how we are supposed to survive if I don't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Icon_mad[/quote]

i so agree with you.its really a weird thing.and so difficult

10schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 25th January 2010, 1:07 pm

becca

becca

ok,
i have chosen a school.
its a really god one.
giovedi i wil give the papers.and then fingers crossed that serena gets a place.

because we went there to ask info.she put of her coat and diden want to leave the school.

she talks about it all the time.
we got only 23points.

so i really really hope whe make it.i try to be positive

11schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh Empty Re: schools for the kids aaaaahhhhh 4th February 2010, 6:18 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

becca wrote:ok,
i have chosen a school.
its a really god one.
giovedi i wil give the papers.and then fingers crossed that serena gets a place.

because we went there to ask info.she put of her coat and diden want to leave the school.

she talks about it all the time.
we got only 23points.

so i really really hope whe make it.i try to be positive

good luck
i only got 23 points fo Sad r each of my boys, not sure why.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum