Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whole-Wheat Penne With Eggplant and Ricotta

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Whole-Wheat Penne With Eggplant and Ricotta Empty Whole-Wheat Penne With Eggplant and Ricotta 5th November 2009, 8:42 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Whole-Wheat Penne With Eggplant and Ricotta
Prep time: 15 minutes | Start to finish: 40 minutes | Serves: 4 (2 cups)

Details:
Tossing hot pasta with ricotta cheese creates a quick, creamy sauce that's rich in taste and low in fat. Top this dish with fresh parsley or basil, if you have some on hand. (Phase 2)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
1 1/2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces whole-wheat or spelt penne
1 small onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

Enlarge Image Nutritional Information:
420 calories
14 g total fat (4 g sat)
62 g carbohydrate
18 g protein
12 g fiber
320 mg sodium

Directions:
Heat oven to 450°F.
Lightly coat a baking pan with oil. Place eggplant in the pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring once, until eggplant is lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
While eggplant is roasting, cook penne according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Drain pasta, place in a large bowl, and add tomato mixture, eggplant, and cheese. Toss to combine, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

Lizzie

Lizzie

just out of curiousity...coz I could do with increasing my fibre intake...have u ever seen wholewheat pasta for sale here and if so where? Maybe it is avaliable everywhere but I can't remember ever seeing it.

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

I am sure i have seen it in a few Farmacia here and also in some big supermarkets they seem to have it under the diet section.

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

Lizzie

Lizzie

interesting that just coz it is a whole food it has to be in the diet section..and then of course they can bump up the price...like the wheatabix.............criminal! Whole-Wheat Penne With Eggplant and Ricotta Icon_mad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum