Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Healthy Eating is Easy in the Fall

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Healthy Eating is Easy in the Fall Empty Healthy Eating is Easy in the Fall 5th November 2009, 6:03 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

My favorite seasons are spring and fall. I love the changes in the air. I love spring for its anticipatory energy of birth and renewal, but I love fall just as much for the wonderful pungency I inhale with every breath. Healthy eating is easy in the fall because of the abundance offered by a garden harvest. The fragrance of rich soil sliding into hibernation fills me with a sense of lassitude and comfort. The harvest of squashes, eggplants, potatoes, and other delicious gifts from Mother Nature make my mouth water in anticipation.

In keeping with the season, I like to serve ratatouille. If you've never taken the time to try this dish, I recommend you do so now. It is overflowing with healthy eating high-level nutrition for your family as well as being delicious. Following is my recipe:

RATATOUILLE
Olive oil (enough to cover bottom of a large frying pan
2 onions, peeled, cut in about ½-inch pieces
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 bell peppers, one red, one green, seeded, cut in about ½-inch pieces
3 or 4 zucchini, cut into 1-inch thick rounds
1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, cut into eighths
¼ teaspoon of thyme*
¼ teaspoon of oregano*
1 bay leaf*
½ cup of chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in heavy skillet; sauté onions and garlic gently until they become translucent (about 2 minutes). Add peppers; sauté a few more minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes (adding a little more oil, if necessary); cook about 5 more minutes. Add thyme and oregano. Simmer very gently on a low flame, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes, until all vegetables are just tender. Add salt and pepper. Stir often; do not scorch. Add chopped parsley and top with Parmesan cheese. Place under a broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned around the edges. May be served hot or cold.

*These herbs may be omitted, or added lightly to taste.

Note: Other vegetables may be added. I often use carrots and potatoes in the mix. Also to make it a complete meal, you can add 1-inch chunks tofu or serve ratatouille as a side dish with meat.
This is a very healthy recipe because it contains so many vegetables, which release their juices that turn into a delicious vegetable gravy during cooking. The gentle sautéing also enhances some of the phytochemicals, such as lycopene in the tomatoes.

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum