Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baked stuffed aubergines

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Baked stuffed aubergines Empty Baked stuffed aubergines 31st October 2009, 2:22 am

Katja

Katja

This is something that I do quite a lot. It's a doddle to make, and really yummy. I'm not too good at exact measurements - I just chuck stuff in until it tastes good - but I'll give a rough idea to get you started! I generally do this just for myself, so increase the quantities as needed.

1 aubergine
A handful of mushrooms
1 medium or 2 small courgettes
1 artichoke heart (I buy the ones sliced and preserved in jars, in oil and herbs - 1 heart is about 4-5 pieces from the jar)
basil pesto (1-2 tbsp to taste)
sour cream (1 tbsp or so)
parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
white wine

Cut the aubergine in half and score the flesh diagonally, at about 1" intervals, going in both directions so that you get a criss-cross diamond pattern. Rub both halves (both flesh and skin) with a little olive oil, then stick them in a roasting tin into a hot oven for half an hour or so, until the flesh is soft enough to scoop out.

While the aubergine is cooking, slice the mushrooms and courgette. I like them to be quite chunky, but slice them finely if you prefer. Heat some olive oil in a pan, over quite a low heat, and add the mushrooms and courgette. Grind in plenty of black pepper, and add salt if you wish.

Sweat the veg slowly, until the courgettes are soft and beginning to disintegrate slightly, and the mushrooms are nicely browned around the edges. Slosh in a bit of white wine and let it all bubble away for a couple of minutes, until the wine has reduced down to nearly nothing again. (The wine can be skipped if you want, but it just adds a little bit more flavour.)

Add the artichoke hearts, and a little bit (about a tbsp) of the oil from the jar. Stir together and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the pesto and stir in. Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream.

Take the aubergines out of the oven. Let them rest for a moment (otherwise you'll burn your hands, as I always do!). Scoop out the flesh into the pan with the courgette/mushroom mixture. Stir in. Now spoon the whole mixture back into the aubergine shells. Grate parmesan over the top and put them back into the oven to heat through, and to brown the parmesan a little.

Delicious on their own, or with a green salad to cut the richness a little. Yummy.

Last edited by Katja on 31st October 2009, 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting quantities)

http://katebailward.com/drivinglikeamaniac

2Baked stuffed aubergines Empty Re: Baked stuffed aubergines 31st October 2009, 12:55 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Ohhhhhhhhh that sounds really nice!

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum