Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food costs for family of 4

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Food costs for family of 4 Empty Food costs for family of 4 4th December 2010, 5:38 pm

Buon giorno!

We are moving to Rome, and I was wondering, can anyone tell me what a good stimate for food costs for a family of 4 are? We are vegan, so will be cooking in a lot we assume, and I have two girls, 5 and 8 years old. Thank you for opinion!

Ciao,

Stacy

2Food costs for family of 4 Empty Re: Food costs for family of 4 11th December 2010, 3:13 pm

carrieitly

carrieitly

Where are you moving from? I can't give you a good approximation, but I can probably tell you what food costs here are in relation to what you're spending now (i.e. less or more).

3Food costs for family of 4 Empty Food costs for family of 4 11th December 2010, 7:33 pm

We are moving from San Diego, CA, thank you Carrie!

Warmly,

Stacy

4Food costs for family of 4 Empty Re: Food costs for family of 4 11th December 2010, 9:54 pm

carrieitly

carrieitly

Love SD!

In general, I find food in the grocery store here (even in the larger cities) is less expensive than grocery stores in the US, especially a city like San Diego. The one thing I find to be much more expensive, and which you wont have any issue with, is meat. Fruit and veg are less expensive as most of it's produced locally and seasonally stocked. Dry goods like flour/sugar/pasta/cereal and canned goods are equal to or less than you'd pay in the US. I don't eat it often enough to take notice, but something to keep in mind is that vegetarinaism and especially veganism aren't very common here, and tofu and things like veggie burgers may be a bit more expensive. Products like soy and almond milk are abundantly available, and comperable or less in price.

Of course I'm using a €1 = $1 ratio as opposed to the exchange rate, since if you're earning in euro then that's how you'd compare prices. If you're converting from $'s you'll be spending more because of the exchange rate, but this will be evened out a bit with the lower food costs.

I'm happy to check out the prices of a few things you'd consider "staples" as well as give you the price of whatever fruit/veg we buy next time I'm at the store. We're not in Rome, so I'm guessing things are possibly 5-10% more (at most) there, but I'm in central Italy, so tI'd say things are more or less comperable.

A couple more things:

- Fruit and veg are almost always less expensive (and fresher) at an "ortofruta", a shop sells only produce.

- If you supplement your diet with vitamins etc. BRING THEM FROM THE US! Vitamins and supplements are EXORBITANTLY expensive here.

Let me know if you'd like me to check out the prices of anything specific!

5Food costs for family of 4 Empty Re: Food costs for family of 4 19th December 2010, 10:26 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

I am in Rome with my family of 5, and try to shop very economically,know all the cheap places to go, but we are meat eaters. Average monthly spend at supermarkets range from 500-800euo a month.I find things more expensive here than in the UK and they don't do as many special offers.Laughing

6Food costs for family of 4 Empty Re: Food costs for family of 4 20th December 2010, 3:32 am

Thank you Lizzie and Carrie, we are in the process of a lot of investigation, so this helps a lot. Since we are vegan, we do not have to worry about the meat part Very Happy , and we do not eat soy in general, so no tofu to worry about, but I know there are ways to get those things online so no worries. And, we hope to explore the local ingredients anyway and will not worry about the things we had at home.

Ciao, e buon natale e felice anno nuovo!

Stacy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum