Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Try This Low-Fat French Toast

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Try This Low-Fat French Toast Empty Try This Low-Fat French Toast 19th November 2009, 11:34 am

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Whole-Wheat French Toast With Fresh Strawberries

Ingredients

3 tablespoons sugar-free raspberry or strawberry spreadable fruit
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2/3 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
8 slices thin whole-wheat bread

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 200°F. Place a serving platter in the oven to hold the French toast.

Place the fruit spread in a medium bowl and stir until smooth. Stir in the strawberries. Set aside. In a pie plate or shallow bowl, beat the egg, egg white, milk, vanilla extract, and nutmeg with a fork until blended. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip a bread slice into the egg mixture, letting it soak briefly on both sides. Place the soaked slice in the skillet; add 1 or 2 more soaked slices. Cook, turning once, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes per side.

Place the cooked French toast in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining bread slices, adding the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter as needed. Serve the French toast hot with the strawberry mixture on top.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving (2 slices): 270 calories, 38g carbohydrates, 11g protein, 10g total fat, 70mg cholesterol, 4g dietary fiber, 300mg sodium

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

2Try This Low-Fat French Toast Empty Re: Try This Low-Fat French Toast 19th November 2009, 2:55 pm

piccolina

I figure if I'm going to eat French toast I may as well make it with butter, whole eggs and maple syrup or jam with sugar in it. Twisted Evil

But I guess this could be good for a diabetic or someone on a restricted low cholesterol diet.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum