Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

what have u read this spring???

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1what have u read this spring??? Empty what have u read this spring??? 19th May 2010, 7:39 am

Lizzie

Lizzie

I've finally finished the Steig Larsson trilogy. thought it was ace, full of detail. Just started Monster of Florence, adn I have the Historian on my shelf.

Any more recommendations girls? I see Shutter ISland (which I haven't read) is a film now. Any opinions?

Very Happy

2what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 19th May 2010, 10:50 am

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

I just finished Eclipse and Breaking Dawn in the Twilight collection which were very good

Just hope the films are just as good Very Happy

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

3what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 19th May 2010, 12:40 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

ClareRoma wrote:I just finished Eclipse and Breaking Dawn in the Twilight collection which were very good

Just hope the films are just as good Very Happy

I read them a while back, but only seen Twilight, which I thought was a quite accurate interpretation of the atmosphere of the book, but was depressing to watch!!! Razz

4what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 19th May 2010, 3:24 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

I hope they do well on the last book! so much happens in it so hopefully it will all be fitted into the movie! study

5what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 20th May 2010, 12:47 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

ClareRoma wrote:I hope they do well on the last book! so much happens in it so hopefully it will all be fitted into the movie! study

the last book made me cringe a bit...all that pregnancy stuff got a bit far fetched!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough to put u off though!!

6what have u read this spring??? Empty shantaram............................. 28th June 2010, 3:07 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

just finished Shantaram, fantastic read! study

7what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 29th July 2010, 3:57 pm

carrieitly

carrieitly

Ok, so I eventually made my way through The Decameron (Boccaccio). And I acutally really liked it. I read it cover-to-cover, but it'd be a fun book to randmoly flip open and read a story or two. Very humerous and raunchy, and you'll recognize many of the stories from later lore/fairytales.

Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen: Take Africa and a mid-20th century colonialist and you've got a winning combination in my eye. I love these types of books, and Out of Africa is without a doubt the grandaddy of this genre.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden: I liked this quite a lot and am glad I finally got around to reading it, but like so many books that get hugely hyped I didn't seem to like it as much as the masses.

Gilgamesh: A Novel by Joan London: Meh. A miss for me. This won some prestigious awards and it sounds promising, but I found it a bit wishy-washy and annoying.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres: Love, love, LOVE this book. This is a re-read. I don't remember liking it as much the first time around, but I think that's because I was quite a bit younger and prefered fairytale endings. This is just a beautiful book, all the more humerous and understandable now that I live in Italy. The Mussolini satire alone is worth the read.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyer: It's simple, if you're a Twifan, or dare I go there, Twihard, read it. If not, steer well away. It's not great, and it'll leave you a little resentful for lining Meyer's pockets with even more money that she doesn't deserve, but it's a short, quick read, gives new perspective on Eclipse, helps tide you over until Breaking Dawn is released in the cinema (or better yet Midnight Sun is completed!), and part of the proceeds go to the Red Cross.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon: SO promising and it starts out really well, but it fades a bit in the last third. It is worth a read (hey, it didn't win the Pulitzer for nothing), but I couldn't like it as much as I wanted to.

Currently reading The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk and hating it. I would burn it and bury the ashes if I had something else to read.

8what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 4th August 2010, 5:32 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

[quote="carrieitly"]Ok, so I eventually made my way through The Decameron (Boccaccio). And I acutally really liked it.'

I had that on my readig list at uni, like 17 years ago! Never read it though, I read COnfessions of Zeno, well when I say read it, I just scanned...anyone actually READ IT read it???

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Bernieres: Love, love, LOVE this book. This is a re-read. '

yep, I really loved this too. Did u ever see the film. Nicholas Cage was hilarious but completely ruined it for me, for me he changed the whole tone of the film in a
bad way.

Just read Shutter Island, was great!
Am currently reading 'Love in the time of Cholera' which is quite entertaining....

9what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 10th August 2010, 5:17 pm

carrieitly

carrieitly

Yes, The Decameron was a university text for me as well... I was short on reading material, so I thought "what the hell, I already own this, and it'll keep me busy for awhile".

Never read (or even heard of) Confessions of Zeno...

I haven't seen the film version of Corelli's Mandolin. I'm not a Nicholas Cage fan--- I liked the book so much I went onto Youtube to watch some scenes with the intention of buying the DVD if I could stomach the clips there. Was a no-go. Which is such a shame! I think Penelope Cruz is well cast, and didn't John Hurt play her father? He looked fantastic. I just don't want Cage to ruin the Corelli character for me!

Just bought Life of Pi and The House of Mirth. Also hope to get an Amazon order in in a day or two. Yippie!

10what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 10th August 2010, 8:56 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

carrieitly wrote:

I haven't seen the film version of Corelli's Mandolin. I'm not a Nicholas Cage fan--- I liked the book so much I went onto Youtube to watch some scenes with the intention of buying the DVD if I could stomach the clips there. Was a no-go. Which is such a shame! I think Penelope Cruz is well cast, and didn't John Hurt play her father? He looked fantastic. I just don't want Cage to ruin the Corelli character for me!

Just bought Life of Pi and The House of Mirth. Also hope to get an Amazon order in in a day or two. Yippie!

I quite like Cage as he is quirky, but he was too comic for this role, he was terrible although yes I agree Penelope seemed a good choice...can't remember much else as I tried to put it out of my memory!
Let me know how your books turn out...
I just finished 'Love in the time of Cholera' which was quite good although I am not a big fan of love stories.......

11what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 11th August 2010, 1:04 am

carrieitly

carrieitly

Oh, yeah, Love in the Time of Cholera is really something. It's the kind of book that really stays with you.

Have you seen the film version of it? I thought it was quite good!

12what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 11th August 2010, 9:55 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Im a bit obssessed with e-books at the moment and reading alot of romance books that way which im enjoying alot especially the Mills and Boons range if anyone remembers them heehee study

13what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 12th August 2010, 4:50 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

carrieitly wrote:Oh, yeah, Love in the Time of Cholera is really something. It's the kind of book that really stays with you.

Have you seen the film version of it? I thought it was quite good!
Didn't know there was one!!
I still haven't worked out if I liked the book, it was certainly interesting, but I dunno, there was something that didn't work for me, I didn't like the ending. I didn't like the ending of 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, although it also was intriguing...I like the Spanish style (albeit in translation) though!

14what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 29th August 2010, 7:39 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

Just finished 'The Book Thief', read it in 2 days whilst ignoring my kids. Really good, made me cry.........

15what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 9th October 2011, 11:44 am

artemis

I read Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book with my eleven year old - quite gave me a chill!

16what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 12th October 2011, 3:59 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

I read 'the Historian' that was really really good!

17what have u read this spring??? Empty Re: what have u read this spring??? 13th October 2011, 6:22 pm

Ggnitaly84

Ggnitaly84

Im glad you liked the historian claire! seriously that is one of my favorite books ever! I recommend it to everyone, that and "the monster of florence" and primo levi's " if this was a men, the truce" ( AMAZING ) ..

I just finished " The Last Train to Liguria" and really liked it..

http://ggnitaly84.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum