Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moving to Rome

+5
jessrw
Lizzie
ClareRoma
becca
*Lizzie*
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 10th February 2010, 3:18 pm

rkabruzzo

rkabruzzo

hey lizzie1 - i hope you and the kids are better - i've been going out of my mind with the same illness - one sick kid and my sick self! yuck

lizzie2 - welcome Smile hopefully living in Italy won't make you want to go running back to the UK!

And if you ever want to venture over the mountains, or have a different sort of holiday with a group of friends, check out www.abruzzocibus.com
or come stay in our palace and get some fresh air when Rome gets crowded in the summer! www.palazzotd.com

ciao-
Rachel

27Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 10th February 2010, 3:48 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

rkabruzzo wrote:hey lizzie1 - i hope you and the kids are better - i've been going out of my mind with the same illness - one sick kid and my sick self! yuck

ciao-
Rachel

thanks for asking, the kids are back at school, at least for now. i am making the most of it by going to the gym every morning. Everyday the kids get up and giuliano says 'maybe so and so should stay at home today, he's got a cough or cold' etcc. but i am like 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i have to go to the gym, take the little so and so to school!' They have to be really miserable to stay off school these days! Twisted Evil

(the little ones only go to school til 1 anyway! i am not that evil!)

28Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 11th February 2010, 1:17 am

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

I have arrived girlies! Very Happy
I cant believe I am actually in Rome! WOW!
Please, please can we arrange a coffee/vino/something soon?! x

29Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 11th February 2010, 1:21 am

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

rkabruzzo wrote:hey lizzie1 - i hope you and the kids are better - i've been going out of my mind with the same illness - one sick kid and my sick self! yuck

lizzie2 - welcome Smile hopefully living in Italy won't make you want to go running back to the UK!

And if you ever want to venture over the mountains, or have a different sort of holiday with a group of friends, check out www.abruzzocibus.com
or come stay in our palace and get some fresh air when Rome gets crowded in the summer! www.palazzotd.com

ciao-
Rachel

Wow Rachel! The palace looks amazing...i think a trip there is definitely on the cards!

30Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 11th February 2010, 1:48 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

hooray! nice weather we are having isn't it! bet u feel right at home.

as soon as the weather is better I'll be pushing for a meetup.

how's the new family? what are your hours duties? when do u have time off?

31Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 11th February 2010, 11:13 pm

piccolina

Ha ha! I thought it was kind of ironic that you'd recommend Roma as a sunworshipper's paradise considering that it's been raining non-stop for several months now. Personally I'm not a big fan of Rome weather - I prefer Sydney weather - but maybe I'd think differently if I was from cold and rainy northern Europe (hope no one is offended by that!)

I'm also in Rome and life here has it's ups and downs like anywhere else. The main problem with living here is the dire work situation and the crap pay but I guess you know all that already and decided to move here anyway.

I have a kid and a FT job so I don't get out much either - but welcome to Rome!

BTW- I studied at Scuola Dante Allighieri and it was good and way cheaper than the other schools. I had a great teacher called Giuliana. Try to get her if you can.

32Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 12th February 2010, 9:48 pm

lmarmstrong66

lmarmstrong66

Oh Geez, why does everybody always go to Roma??? Can't anyone ever come to my neck of the woods for a change Sad

Liz, I thought you meant you were getting married when you said taking the big plunge haha! All I can say about dating Italian men is that the statement made about the good looking ones is all true and if you do meet/date/marry one, I hope you have thick skin, as they are all a handful!!! I am convinced that Italian men were not built for weak women!

Anyways, welcome aboard bounce
At least the UK is a cheap flight home for a quick fix of good beer, and a curry take out, no? Or is that WAY to stereotypical to say What a Face

Canada is a bit too far away for a weekend fix of maple syrup and back bacon... Crying or Very sad

http://www.lmarmstrong66.wordpress.com

33Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 12th February 2010, 10:30 pm

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

Lizzie wrote:hooray! nice weather we are having isn't it! bet u feel right at home.

as soon as the weather is better I'll be pushing for a meetup.

how's the new family? what are your hours duties? when do u have time off?

Gosh..it's like being back in the UK with this weather and the snow...grrrr!
I met the family yesterday and all went well! Will be moving in next week with them, but dont start work until 1st March..so 2 weeks to play! Once I start I should be finished at 6pm everyday and have weekends off...hooray!

34Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 12th February 2010, 10:48 pm

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

piccolina wrote:Ha ha! I thought it was kind of ironic that you'd recommend Roma as a sunworshipper's paradise considering that it's been raining non-stop for several months now. Personally I'm not a big fan of Rome weather - I prefer Sydney weather - but maybe I'd think differently if I was from cold and rainy northern Europe (hope no one is offended by that!)

I'm also in Rome and life here has it's ups and downs like anywhere else. The main problem with living here is the dire work situation and the crap pay but I guess you know all that already and decided to move here anyway.

I have a kid and a FT job so I don't get out much either - but welcome to Rome!

BTW- I studied at Scuola Dante Allighieri and it was good and way cheaper than the other schools. I had a great teacher called Giuliana. Try to get her if you can.

Sydney weather compared to Europe weather...well I have to say there's no contest there! Sun all the way!

I shall see if Giuliana is still there at Dante! I'm going down there to register next week, so will let you know if she is!

35Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 13th February 2010, 1:46 pm

Frankie

Frankie

Welcome to Rome! If you're feeling lost or want some English-speaking company I (and surely lots of others on here) would be happy to oblige. I know how it feels to be new in a place!
Enjoy your first few days now that the rain has finally stopped (touch wood).
Frankie

http://ramblingsfromrome.blogspot.com/

http://ramblingsfromrome.blogspot.com/

36Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 14th February 2010, 12:53 pm

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

lmarmstrong66 wrote:Oh Geez, why does everybody always go to Roma??? Can't anyone ever come to my neck of the woods for a change Sad

Liz, I thought you meant you were getting married when you said taking the big plunge haha! All I can say about dating Italian men is that the statement made about the good looking ones is all true and if you do meet/date/marry one, I hope you have thick skin, as they are all a handful!!! I am convinced that Italian men were not built for weak women!

Anyways, welcome aboard bounce
At least the UK is a cheap flight home for a quick fix of good beer, and a curry take out, no? Or is that WAY to stereotypical to say What a Face

Canada is a bit too far away for a weekend fix of maple syrup and back bacon... Crying or Very sad

I'm hoping I will last without currys and beer and most of all marmite, for the next 8 months!
And yes, I am lucky to be able to get a cheap flight home if I do get the curry urge! How long has it been since you were home?

I have prepared myself for this different breed of man and it is already wearing me out! The Italian man is so persistant even when you tell them no! Why is that?!

37Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 14th February 2010, 12:57 pm

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

Frankie!
I would love to have some company! I dont start work until 1st March so if you are free before then let me know. Otherwise I will be around in the evenings and at weekends after then.

My Italian mobile is 327 0067804 if you want to ring/sms me. I will have limited internet access from tomorrow for the next few weeks, so better to get me on that then on here.

38Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 14th February 2010, 6:24 pm

lmarmstrong66

lmarmstrong66

I think Italian men hate being turned down. It's like a huge kick to their ego! But, if you are interested in a guy you still need to tell him no a few times because otherwise he will say it was too easy and move on fast! It's like a game to them.

I wasn't even that attracted to my husband when I met him, so of course he persisted! He said I was hard to "get". I told him that was because I didn't really fancy him much haha...now look at us we're married for God's sake! Italian charm or what???
Razz

I usually go back to Canada twice a year...I was just there at Christmas so I'm all full of family and maple syrup at the moment Very Happy

Cheers, enjoy the 2 weeks before work. It sounds like Roma is getting Genoa weather for a change! But it will be short...before long the Mimosa's will be blooming and Spring will arrive over night bounce

39Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 14th February 2010, 11:36 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

I think i have seen Marmite in Catroni's! i can show you on tuesday Lizze Very Happy

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

40Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 15th February 2010, 11:26 am

Lizzie

Lizzie

Lizzie there is a good curry place right in the centre of rome on via cavour. Laughing

Any man you are likely to meet in the centre of Rome is probably looking for tourists and is probably a sleeze-bag. Better not to engage with those you meet on the street. Maybe you'll meet someone thru the language school, thru the family etc. be very careful! I may be able to set u up with a nice batchelor if u r interested let me know....(no promises though..I will have to check if he is still single! but he is half English) Razz

Last edited by Lizzie on 15th February 2010, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

41Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 15th February 2010, 11:32 am

Lizzie

Lizzie

piccolina wrote:Ha ha! I thought it was kind of ironic that you'd recommend Roma as a sunworshipper's paradise considering that it's been raining non-stop for several months now. Personally I'm not a big fan of Rome weather - I prefer Sydney weather - but maybe I'd think differently if I was from cold and rainy northern Europe (hope no one is offended by that!)

My sister in law lives in Sydney. I went there about 10 years ago. It was christmas, and like about 50 degrees and I was pregnant and hid in a basement bedroom and prayed for it to end. I would love to go back and see it without the exaggerated heat (my in laws were their over xmas and it was quite cool as summers go) and hormones. It is like the polar opposite of Rome...all that space and so chilled out, everyone in flip flops and no one caring about image. (Obviously I wasn't in Sydney centre itself, although I did go in a few times...). just pricey tickets for a family of 5 Sad

42Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 15th February 2010, 3:49 pm

lmarmstrong66

lmarmstrong66

That's what I miss the most is SPACE! Everywhere is so crowded here Sad
Canadians don't exactly sport flipflops often but at least we have lots of space to move around freely, everything in Italy is jammed up!

43Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Moving to Rome 17th February 2010, 10:58 am

*Lizzie*

*Lizzie*

Oh Lizzie
any introduction to a non sleazebag is most definitely welcome Laughing

44Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 17th February 2010, 3:38 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

i'll be right on it then.... Razz

45Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 18th February 2010, 12:28 am

piccolina

Lizzie wrote:

My sister in law lives in Sydney. I went there about 10 years ago. It was christmas, and like about 50 degrees and I was pregnant and hid in a basement bedroom and prayed for it to end. I would love to go back and see it without the exaggerated heat (my in laws were their over xmas and it was quite cool as summers go) and hormones. It is like the polar opposite of Rome...all that space and so chilled out, everyone in flip flops and no one caring about image. (Obviously I wasn't in Sydney centre itself, although I did go in a few times...). just pricey tickets for a family of 5 Sad

Yeah I kind of miss things like walking around barefoot when i lived near the beach. Here people freak out even if you are barefoot inside your hosue during the summer!

Thanks for reminding me how hot it can be in Sydney. I hate Rome weather as it's so unbearably hot and there's no where to swim (WHY are there no public pools here?) but yeah sydney weather can just as bad. At least you can swim though. Smile

46Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 18th February 2010, 9:13 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

piccolina wrote:[

My sister in law lives in Sydney. I went there about 10 years ago. It was christmas, and like

Yeah I kind of miss things like walking around barefoot when i lived near the beach. Here people freak out even if you are barefoot inside your hosue during the summer!

Thanks for reminding me how hot it can be in Sydney. I hate Rome weather as it's so unbearably hot and there's no where to swim (WHY are there no public pools here?) but yeah sydney weather can just as bad. At least you can swim though. Smile[/quote]

thereare some pools around. casal pallocco has a cheap one that costs about 7 euro a head for the day and it is very down to earth. of course u have to get there, which is not funny when it is hot! i spend the whoe summer at the beach. with only one child maybe u could manage the train to Ostia? I know it's a slog though.

47Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 19th February 2010, 10:59 pm

piccolina

Yeah it would be a huge slog for me to get to Ostia and i work FT so I can't just go there after work like I used to with the beach in sydney. I don't like Italian beaches either - not to be a snob but they're dirty and crowded and I can't wrap my mind around having to pay to go to the beach. No

48Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 19th February 2010, 11:24 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

piccolina wrote:Yeah it would be a huge slog for me to get to Ostia and i work FT so I can't just go there after work like I used to with the beach in sydney. I don't like Italian beaches either - not to be a snob but they're dirty and crowded and I can't wrap my mind around having to pay to go to the beach. No

I know, iI know. last yr my in laws rented sun beds for the season at a stabilimento, and so i went there so i wouldn't be completely alone with 3 kids, and anyway i don't drive so it wasn't like i had many options with my OH at work everyday. I didn't use any of the facilties , just went straight to the sea front, but still paid the 8euro entrance. officially you don't have to pay for access to the first few metres of beach, but I couldn't do a brutta figura and insist on my rights because I was with Italians, and I couldn't embaress them. Rolling Eyes

49Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 20th February 2010, 1:56 am

rkabruzzo

rkabruzzo

Lizzie wrote:

ciao-
Rachel

thanks for asking, the kids are back at school, at least for now. i am making the most of it by going to the gym every morning. Everyday the kids get up and giuliano says 'maybe so and so should stay at home today, he's got a cough or cold' etcc. but i am like 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i have to go to the gym, take the little so and so to school!' They have to be really miserable to stay off school these days! Twisted Evil

(the little ones only go to school til 1 anyway! i am not that evil!)

oh good for you!!! I never get to a gym, but I'm so proud of myself - for two weeks now I have employed DH to take DD to daycare twice a week (the other 3 times I do it) so that I can have that morning to just do 30 minutes of pilates and have a decent shower before heading to work! He was all confused about why he was needed... and I just didn't give him an out! It feels so good to exercise! keep it up and cross your fingers for me Smile

50Moving to Rome - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving to Rome 20th February 2010, 1:59 am

rkabruzzo

rkabruzzo

*Lizzie* wrote:

ciao-
Rachel

Wow Rachel! The palace looks amazing...i think a trip there is definitely on the cards!

A visit to Abruzzo is always nice Smile write me on private messaging, or through the palace email if you're thinking of coming over... otherwise, if your message is lost in one of these long threads i may not see it in time.

Welcome to Italia! affraid

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum