Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

What does everyone do for work?

+5
Ggnitaly84
Lizzie
ClareRoma
becca
Karla
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What does everyone do for work? Empty What does everyone do for work? 19th September 2009, 2:10 am

Karla

Karla

Just curious Smile
I am currently unemployed and not loving it!

2What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 19th September 2009, 8:07 am

becca

becca

me too.

sometimes look afther a friends child.
but am a kindergarden teacher of children 0-4years

3What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 19th September 2009, 11:29 am

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Im working as a babysitter, i do 3 afternoons a week mon, wed, fr its quite nice the two little girls are italian 8 and 13 and there parents want them to improve there english Smile we make crafty things, like card masks, paint boxes, make bead braclets, necklaces so its alot of fun Smile

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

4What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 19th September 2009, 12:30 pm

I am an english babysitter/teacher for 2 toddlers. I work monday through friday and just do activities like Claire described but all in English. It's been nice being able to put my degree (education) to use, the stuff I learned is actually useful!

I think these types of jobs are not that difficult to get. I just put an all english ad on bakeca/kijiji and got 4-5 responses within a few weeks.

5What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 19th September 2009, 9:35 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

Jessica if you have a degree in education..why not apply to be a teacher in an English school. I worked as an assistant in an English school, but couldn't be a teacher coz I didn't have a PGCE...they are crying out for qualified teachers.
Since I went on maternity with my 2nd child I do private English lessons from home. In fact I am not planning to go back to work for a whiile.

Clare: with regard to your post Keeping the interest of an 8yr old - HELP! I tried to reply but it said only adminstrators could apply to that forum?? Not that I had anything much to say...apart from look on the internet. My 8 year old LOVES monopoly...and you have to read the street names and the community chest /chance cards. also good is guess who, adn UNO. I'll have a think for the reading problem...maybe it is case of making her to something with a view to a reward if she completes a task?
Ex
gottta go friends for dinner

6What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 19th September 2009, 9:40 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

I fixed it its for all members now lol

7What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 24th September 2009, 12:23 am

Ggnitaly84

Ggnitaly84

I have several jobs because I learned ( at least for me ) that I could not depend on any one job to pay a decent income and I didn't want to teach english / babysit anymore ( i was doing it for 1 year ) , now its limited to 6 hours a week.

(job1 ) I rent apartments , basically i just find owners in Florence, offer to find them clients as long as they give me 10% which is great its a one year lease or any lease LOL.. i do that from home via the internet Razz.

(job2): i work for an online community ,i love the job ! basically i sell ad space for them to local businesses that want exposure to the international english speaking communities.
(job 3): twice a week i "teach english" basically take the kids in an electric car from tennis to home vice versa for 6 hours a week, i also rent the one of owners apartments for them ( see job: 1)
(job 4): im a wedding celebrant, whenever the lady needs me , i will conduct the wedding for her ( i think she outsources her work to us ) , Im doing one this saturday at a villa, really easy, they arent legal marriages but symbolic ones ( as we know how hard the legal stuff is ) , i get a script of the ceremony and it takes like 20 minutes, really fast but great money!
for now i am happy doing this Smile, i like being in control of my schedule and i dont work that much but take a decent paycheck at the end of the month. i used to work semi- full time for an apartment agency but hated it, or rather hated my crazy boss, for some reason the better i did , the more she resented me!

http://ggnitaly84.blogspot.com/

8What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 24th September 2009, 12:35 am

jmisgro

jmisgro

Until last week my husband had his own business. I did what ever I could to help him but no outside job since 2002. Last year and this one so far, I have been and am homeschooling our 10 year old. BUT when we get to Sicily she is going to public school.

http://www.litlequeenrules.blogspot.com

9What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 24th September 2009, 9:31 am

Lizzie

Lizzie

gorgette...someone is a busy bee..u r so resourceful! I guess there are opportunities out there if you have enough imagination, oh asnd a driving license! I'm just teaching English from home, seems pointless to do it as a school as I can basically choose my student/fee, but then tehre is no pension or security in it. Speaking of which, must look into a private pension....... Neutral

10What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 11th October 2009, 4:03 pm

JenniRoma

JenniRoma

I am an archaeologist and used to lecture at UCL london as well as run public/kids events to explain archaeology. There is little chance of me getting back into this at the moment, my Italian isn't quite good enough and the profession here is very closed.

Its frustrating to be surrounded by archaeology and not be involved though No

11What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 13th October 2009, 10:50 am

sara

JenniRoma wrote:I am an archaeologist and used to lecture at UCL london as well as run public/kids events to explain archaeology. There is little chance of me getting back into this at the moment, my Italian isn't quite good enough and the profession here is very closed.

Its frustrating to be surrounded by archaeology and not be involved though No

Feel free to let us know when you feel like giving an archaeology lecture/tour - I would be happy to indulge you! Wink

12What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 13th October 2009, 12:02 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Ohhhh me to!!

Maybe you could run the tours/lectures privately, set up a business online im sure there would be loads of people interested in that kind of thing.

Also i think there are volunteer sites for italy where you can volunteer on an archeological dig!

13What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 15th October 2009, 10:04 am

Lizzie

Lizzie

Jenni, I did my degree in Classical civilisation, then my Masters.I am more on the literary side though. I came to La Sapienza to prepare for my PHd and then got pregnant and so that was the end for me! So u have my sympathy...I have forgotten so much of what I knew and it is so interesting!8 years have passed since then and I have almost forgotten that side of me ever existed Sad

14What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 4:36 pm

piccolina

I work at an Embassy here in Rome. I was hired as a 'local hire'. I urge anyone in Rome (Naples, Milan etc.) to check the English speaking country embassies' websites and apply for jobs. The one I work at is a great place to work. Before getting the Embassy job I worked part time at an Italian law firm (I'm a lawyer) and also taught English and did legal translations. I quite liked having several jobs. I also help out at my husband's bed and breakfast in the evenings and on weekends. I used to do more of that before i got a FT job but we're both better off if we don't work together all the time. No

15What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 4:39 pm

Ggnitaly84

Ggnitaly84

wow piccolina, u work at the embassy huh? i would love to work at the consulate here in Florence but i wasnt sure how it was/ if it was well paid or even how to go about it since i have just recently gotten a visa. what do they require? how was it like being a lawyer here?

16What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 5:30 pm

piccolina

Being a lawyer here? In one word: underpaid! Apparently most lawyers either live with their parents until 35 or have rich parents who pay their expenses. Who knew? Rolling Eyes

I guess it depends which country's Embassy or Consulate you'd like to work at. Most advertise their positions on their own websites. To get my position I had to show them that I was a permanent resident legally entitled to work here (my dad is Swedish so I have a Swedish EU citizenship so that was no problem for me.)

17What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 5:35 pm

Ggnitaly84

Ggnitaly84

wow! i cant believe that about lawyers , who knew!!! but it cost so much ( we recently had to use one for my immigration woas) .. is it because litigation takes so long here?

18What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 8:59 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

oooooooooh Piccolina, u have me all tingling with interest...
I saw a couple of jobs that I wanted to apply for on behalf of my OH (he is half Italian half English, with British passport),. I think the opening was for passport and visa stuff, dealing the public at the British embassy in Rome. But when I got the application pack
I was just over -whelmed (spell?) by all the info they asked for. Any tips????

NOTE: CLAIRE DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD MOVE THIS THREAD TO 'WORKING LIFE' WHICH IS IN ANY CASE EMPTY?????

19What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 9:47 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Yes it could be moved to the other thread lol

20What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 5th November 2009, 10:49 pm

piccolina

Lizzie - well think about it - someone has to get the job and why not your husband? At the embassy I work for they are really non-nepotistic which is really refreshing in this country.

Anyway just apply.

21What does everyone do for work? Empty Re: What does everyone do for work? 6th November 2009, 4:30 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

I'll have a gander at the site............... What does everyone do for work? Icon_smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum