Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

An introduction - Sarah in Rome

+3
ClareRoma
Lizzie
sarahc
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty An introduction - Sarah in Rome 14th June 2010, 6:34 pm

sarahc

sarahc

Buona Sera Smile

Well the timing for finally reaching out is a bit strange for me but I'm so happy to finnally connect with other women who have moved to Italy. I am on my last week before my trip home...and of course all the big questions rise up around this time....

I am Canadian and have been residing in Italy since October. I met my Italian love on vactation in Cuba in March of 2009. After I made a quick trip to Rome, he made a 2 week visit to Canada, and 6 months of long distance, I now call this magical city my home. I moved a lot growing up so I didn't expect to be so "home-sick" as I find myself some days. I work from home so unless I need to buy something, I often stay at home all day. I know it's unhealthy but I'm working on it. The temperature change is hard to cope with so I am finally understanding why Italians eat so late, stay up late, and wake up later in the day than we do in Canada Smile

Anyway, having only dated Canadian men previously, I am still amazed at the difference in my current relationiship compared to those of the past. This type of sensitivity, passion and intimacy is unbelievable! It's almost too much at times when I find myself retreating into the cold confines of learned behaviour. I am really in love....in love with my partner, in love with this amazing city, in love with Italy in general. But when do you know that it's all worth missing the familiar? The family? The natural solitude, living skies, clean lakes and air... only a peaceful 10 minute drive out of the city? I figured that these loving Italian men must have the same affect on women from all parts of the globe so I'm glad I spent a day searching for you all! I am excited to read about your experiences and great love stories!

I honestly can't say I have formed a lasting friendship with anyone since I arrived....of course there are many factors at play here but without judging myself too harshly, I'll leave those factors alone. I had always been such an independent person before and have not lived with a man since I shacked up out of high school for a year so the transition has been a bit difficult. It's so lovely to have someone to share your life with but it's often too easy to go with the flow and never ask myself what's missing until it's too late....sometimes I have a little fit from the solitude then realize I need to get out there and meet people.

After one of these fits, I met up with a couple of lovely ladies...one from Canada and one from Rotterdam. We had a great week together and I even hopped on a train for a trip to Sorrento/Capri which was so amazing! I felt independent for the first time since I arrived! I read on here someone describing the feeling as what a toddler might feel like and I can completley relate. It's embaressing and humiliating to admit that I feel this way at my age but se la vie. Anyway, so glad to have a virtual group of ladies who can understand! Piacere! Sarah

2An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 14th June 2010, 7:48 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

Hey and welcome. I think the novelty of Italian men wears off and the reality of Italian life gets harder.... so i should mke sure he is worth it, tee hee!
(That was not helpful was it, but I am just telling it how it is!!!!) Twisted Evil
...but are u going hom for good or just taking a break?

3An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 14th June 2010, 7:54 pm

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy we are having some more meet ups if your coming back to italy which could be alot of fun Very Happy

I can relate feeling like a kid here sometimes! but just knowing there are other expats out there can help and also meeting up and getting to know some as well!

Im in Roma and always up for a meetup with anyone Very Happy

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

4An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 14th June 2010, 9:13 pm

sarahc

sarahc

Thanks Clare and Liz! I am just going home for the summer. It's waaaayyy too hot here for me already! Smile I figure eventually I will acclimatize!

My sister is an expat in New Zealand actually..she married a kiwi 3 years ago and comes home with my lovely neice in the summer. So, we are really lucky that we can still spend so much time together! (I went to NZ for the second time this winter for 2 months also cuz I just can't get enough time with my neice!)

I will be back in early September but I'll be keeping up with this group all summer. I'm excited to have some friends to come home to as well!

I love the comment about the allure wearing off....hahaha! Please don't worry about that...honesty is a rare quality that I appreciate greatly! There have been so many moments when I ask myself what I'm doing here but so far, he is worth it! I am in Rome for another week so if anyone wants to meet up for coffee or an appertivo, my schedule is wide open. I live near the cornelia stop for the red line so I can get anywhere the red or blue line goes without a problem. Ciao for now ladies!

5An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 17th June 2010, 8:21 am

becca

becca

hi sarah,

welkom.
i alway's love to meet new people but i got a daughter.
so most of the time ineed to bring her.

if she is not sicore anything.
let us know when you'r back and mabey we can meet.

6An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 17th June 2010, 1:42 pm

Hello Sarah and welcome. I met my Italian when I was on vacation in Rome about 4 years ago. Then moved there after 6 months of maintaining a long distance relationship (I lived in Seattle). I lived in Rome with him for 2 years where we got married, and it was tough adjusting. But I think as time goes on it does get easier. We still have cultural differences and ideas, most of our squabbles are language related, STILL-haha. I don't think that will ever change.

As far as feeling at home there, the biggest difference came when I learned how to speak Italian better (I am by no means fluent, but can hold my own and get by day to day). It helped me understand better where he was coming from, I felt more independent and became really close to his family. We now live in Belgium where we are both experiencing homesickness a bit, but now I miss Italy way more than the states haha!

7An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 17th June 2010, 4:58 pm

sarahc

sarahc

Hi Becca! I love kids so we can maybe go for a nice walk in Villa Borghese or Villa Ada...2 of my favorite afernoon destinations Smile We will set something up later! Thanks for the nice welcome! flower

Jess, I know I am going to miss Italy when I'm gone this summer also! Do you two come back to visit often? I was reading a few of your previous posts...just wondering how you are liking Belgium generally? Nice to meet you!

8An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 18th June 2010, 2:47 pm

prillo67

Hi Sarah,

and welcome!

It would be great to meet you, but just like Becca it is very hard for me to find the time with a 19-months son, a husband plus a 9 to 5.30 job Shocked
Anyway I know that Clare and other girls are trying to set up a meeting before the summer holidays, and who knows... I might be able to come!

Very Happy

9An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 19th June 2010, 11:59 am

sarahc wrote: Jess, I know I am going to miss Italy when I'm gone this summer also! Do you two come back to visit often? I was reading a few of your previous posts...just wondering how you are liking Belgium generally? Nice to meet you!

Yeah we just moved here in December and have been back to Rome a couple times already. We have to since his whole family lives there and Claire is my best friend lol. His parents have also come up here to visit us too (plus we skype them every night-so really it's like we never left Rome at all). I think Belgium is a much easier place to live. Unless someone starts speaking French I forget I am even in a foreign country. I can pretty much find anything I am looking for (food, clothes, random stuff) and I have more freedom here (driving!! woot woot) Also, there is a lot less bureaucracy compared to Italy so it's relatively easy to get things done. I just need to start learning French Sad although we live in a town FULL of Italian immigrants so I find I use my Italian still on a daily basis-which I find really funny.

10An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 29th July 2010, 3:17 pm

carrieitly

carrieitly

Hi Sarah, sorry for the late welcome, I'm sure you're already planning your trip back in September!

I had to laugh at what Liz said- so far the infatuation hasn't worn off with me and I'm nearly three years in to my Italian "adventure".

It can be difficult living so far from everything that is familiar, but it can be equally difficult, if not harder to live away from the person you love.

Adjusting to life as an expat, especially in a country where you don't speak the language fluently can be exceptionally difficult. It is work every step of the way. You have to put a lot of effort into absolutely everything- from making friends, to mastering a visit to the post office, to getting your @$$ out the door at some point every day. It's easy to hole up at home, stay in your PJs, sit in front of the computer Wink all day. It's something I've been guilty of far too often- but I'm always proud of myself whenever I make the effort to go out, see something, do something, check something off my list be it for pleasure or no.

Enjoy your time home and hopefully we'll meet up next time I'm in Rome!

11An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 10th August 2010, 2:47 pm

emilitalian

emilitalian

Well I just saw this post as I am finally in Italy. I met my Italian boyfriend a year ago in Florence. My sister and her family also live in Florence. Now I am here finally and going to be in Rome for the year living with a family and studying....please let me know if there are any get togethers in Rome. I love everything here except for missing all my girlfriends!

12An introduction - Sarah in Rome Empty Re: An introduction - Sarah in Rome 10th August 2010, 8:49 pm

Lizzie

Lizzie

emilitalian wrote:Well I just saw this post as I am finally in Italy. I met my Italian boyfriend a year ago in Florence. My sister and her family also live in Florence. Now I am here finally and going to be in Rome for the year living with a family and studying....please let me know if there are any get togethers in Rome. I love everything here except for missing all my girlfriends!

hi...there will be meet ups in Rome so keep your eyes peeled!!!!!!! Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum