Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!
Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Variety!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: No Variety! on 12th April 2010, 11:34 pm

jmisgro wrote:How about just being able to get a pizza before 8 at night? I miss take out food of any kind!

yep, that's one of my biggest gripes here.... i just cannot be bothered to seriously cook every single friggin meal! sometimes we get a pollo allo spiedo... and just recently three seafood shops have opened up here. They actually cook fish and seafood meals to go! just my luck we always try to get it on their day(s) off!

and on the bright side i have seen a major increase in options for frozen food and quick meals in some of the large supermarkets over the past 3 yrs...

they're finally realizing that women have more to do than stay at home cooking and cleaning! Cooking and cleaning is hard, don't get me wrong, but not everyone really wants to or likes to do that for a living!

View user profile

27 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 3:22 am

Ahhhh! YES! This completely frustrates me!

I'm from a city 40 minutes north of the Mexican border so I'm sure you can imagine it's been quite a transition food-wise (Georgette, I know you hear me!).

I can't find anything here... can't believe some of you have had luck with Betty Crocker etc! Yeah right here in Abruzzo! I'm PSYCHED my Iper just started carrying peanut butter (which I used to buy from the Asian market here, but it wasn't great) and BBQ sauce! My husband and I bought a bunch of both, just so the store thinks people are buying them and don't discontinue them!

Then I get teased where something will appear once or twice in the shop, never to return. Sweet potatoes and scallions... they're there every once in a blue moon, but it makes zero sense. It's a potato and an onion, it's not like they're seasonal!

I dread trying to find spices (Mom can you post me some dill?) as apparently garlic, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper are the only spices that exist, and while I've heard of people having luck with sour cream and cilantro, I haven't had any.

I was really excited to go to Lidl the first time, as in Ireland it's chalk full of international stuff, and where loads of expats went to shop, but here it's just cheap versions of Italian stuff or almost expired Barilla. Neutral

I've tried countless bad Mexican restaurants (though to be honest, I'm a bit of a snob about it, I generally wont approve of Mexican food outside of Mexico/Southwest USA), most horrible. We've found one decent place, that isn't very authentic, but at least we can get some decent black beans and sour cream! Also recently stumbled on a GREAT sushi restaurant about 45 minutes away... it's so worth the drive!

I love Italian food, but I'm used to diversity and changing it up a bit! I pratically haul an extra suitcase of food back with me each time I'm in the states!

View user profile

28 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 3:27 am

Ggnitaly84 wrote:so the brazilian beans are now set in my crock pot ( bought from germany ) so as you can see I am craving some diversity right about now! Laughing

Genius. Did you order it or get it there?

View user profile

29 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 1:48 pm

found em here at esselunga and coop, you have to look in the dry section with nuts and ect ect and you can find them there, i usually soak them in water overnight and the next day put them in the crock pot with garlic/onions/ spices/ and roasted meat for 6-8 hours on low and they come out marvelous , add some white rice and a green salad and your good to go Very Happy

View user profile http://ggnitaly84.blogspot.com/

30 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 5:42 pm

Yum - now I really want to get a crockpot. I notice that they sell them at amazon.co.uk. I guess there's no reason why they wouldn't work here. Do they use much electricity? Suspect

View user profile

31 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 5:43 pm

have no idea but cant be worse than the "ironing system" that people use lol...

32 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 8:15 pm

Hehe Georgette, I meant did you order the crockpot from Germany or buy it there?

View user profile

33 Re: No Variety! on 18th April 2010, 11:50 pm

its from Germany.. a friend of mine bought all this stuff, crock pot/ all inone printer ect ect and had to leave to go back to the states ( she hated her design classes at polimoda ) so she gave me the beloved crock pot on the condition that I use it, and use it well! Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum