Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!
Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tap water in italy

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tap water in italy on 24th February 2010, 11:22 pm

Does anyone expats drink the tap water here?

When i first arrived it gave me a bad tummy so we stopped and switched to bottled water which we use even now. I use it to make tea and even for the cat, as apparently the water here is naturally heavy with minerals and other things.

The thing is we had a friend with a cat and she gave the cat water from the tap everyday to drink then after a few years the cat wasnt well and she took him to the vet. Apprently the vet said he had a build up of these minerals and they had turned into stones of some sort in his intestines and he had to be out down because of it.

When i heard this i though if thats what happened to a cat what is it doing to us?

Sorry to sound scary i just wanted to get your thoughts on this Shocked

View user profile http://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

2 Re: Tap water in italy on 25th February 2010, 1:33 am

I drink Roman tap water every day. I was told it was really good. Had no idea that there is a problem! pale

View user profile

3 Re: Tap water in italy on 26th February 2010, 12:10 am

Maybe im over reacting didnt mean to scare u Crying or Very sad

4 Re: Tap water in italy on 26th February 2010, 2:05 pm

am drinking it every day too for the last four years.nothing wrong.

yes its a bit heavy than the water we drink in amsterdam,but i like it.

for baby's they say not to give it.when they are small.
but afther a year its ok.

mine cats get tap water.they seem to be ok.

View user profile

5 Re: Tap water in italy on 18th March 2010, 9:13 pm

I used to drink tap water as well but then I decided to try to be healthy and drink lots of water (the liter or liter+half) everyday and I started to throw up non stop. As soon as I stopped drinking the tap water, I was fine.
We now have a filter on our sink and it works really well. We use it for the baby, cooking, everything.

View user profile

6 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 10:08 am

bellaciao wrote:I used to drink tap water as well but then I decided to try to be healthy and drink lots of water (the liter or liter+half) everyday and I started to throw up non stop. As soon as I stopped drinking the tap water, I was fine.
We now have a filter on our sink and it works really well. We use it for the baby, cooking, everything.

that's a good idea. I drink the water too and thought, like Piccolina, that it was good for us. Never had any problem with it. che pizza, can we not trust anything?????????! Evil or Very Mad

View user profile

7 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 10:54 am

Well the town that I was living in at the time has at one point had fairly high levels of arsenic in the water as well (they were low levels, but higher than should be). The water in the town that I am now seems to be a bit better but I still will not drink it nor will I let my kids drink it.

View user profile

8 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 10:59 am

we used to get bottled water, but then there was the big scandel about the boTtles being left out in the sun and making the water casenigenic (can't spell, but cancer causing). So what to do now..even if the water comes in a glass bottle how can u trust the source? (Anyone seen Only Fools and Horses 'Peckham Springs' episode????!!!! affraid )

View user profile

9 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 11:39 am

Yeah that is the reason why we got the filter. It is just so much easier to fill up a glass from the sink instead of the bottles and you never worry about running out of water which we did many times.

View user profile

10 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 1:26 pm

We (brita) filter the tap water here in Rome. We drink that, make tea with it, and give it to the cat. I can tell that filtering removes a significant amount of calcium because there is a lot less scale in the electric kettle.

In case you're worried about Ciro... apparently there are a few different types of urinary crystals/stones. This article is really helpful in explaining them. My cat got struvite crystals at one point. Those aren't the same as the oxalate crystals that can form because of calcium, but treatment/prevention looks pretty much the same: make sure he gets plenty of water and feed him a special food if problems start arising. My vet recommended mixing Hill's C/D in with regular food and told me that was perfectly safe for both the cat with crystals and my other cat who didn't have any. By the way we knew when kitty was having problems because he was having difficulty peeing and started peeing outside of the box.

As for you, a certain amount of calcium is good for you - strong bones and all that - and problems of too much calcium are pretty rare in humans, but if you are really concerned about it, I think filtering the water will take care of any problems. I'm with Lizzie and bellaciao - I'm not a huge fan of bottled water, if for no other reason than that I don't want to carry all that water home.

View user profile

11 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 1:39 pm

PS. Has anyone noticed that Italians don't drink much water, at least compared to Americans? My husband and I think they must be piante grasse (succulents) and store all their fluids so that they don't need to be watered. Wink

View user profile

12 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 2:54 pm

wel mine husband does exames with water.as he works in a labaratorium.and if there was something wrong with it.he would def know and dont let us drink it.

View user profile

13 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 7:09 pm

becca wrote:wel mine husband does exames with water.as he works in a labaratorium.and if there was something wrong with it.he would def know and dont let us drink it.
that makes me feel btter.... Laughing

View user profile

14 Re: Tap water in italy on 19th March 2010, 10:48 pm

Thank you Sara!!! Very Happy

15 Re: Tap water in italy on 24th March 2010, 6:56 pm

This is very interesting. A friend of mine and I were just talking about this the other day. She told me she never drinks the water anymore after she realized she had a stomach ache all the time. I drink the tap water all the time and think it's really good as far as taste and everything, but I have noticed that since I moved here I always seem to be retaining water. My rings don't fit properly! I have heard the same thing, that there are a lot of minerals in the water, but since sodium is also a mineral (right?), is it true that using something like a Brita filter would remove it, or would I need to actually use a distiller? Question

View user profile

16 Re: Tap water in italy on 25th March 2010, 4:48 pm

IN Oliveri we don't drink the tap water. I was told that before we moved here. But if you shower or even wash your hands, you can feel that the water isn't right. It feels oily. I can't really describe it any better.
I noticed the Italians don't drink much of anything. I am constantly drinking. I have lost a bunch of weight since we have been here!

View user profile http://www.litlequeenrules.blogspot.com

17 Re: Tap water in italy on 12th April 2010, 12:06 am

haha yeah i noticed the lack of drinking water here too.. maybe because at restaurants a coke is about 3 euros and everyones watching their wallets? I drink the water in Florence and it seems fine to me though Ive thought about buying a filter..

View user profile http://ggnitaly84.blogspot.com/

18 Re: Tap water in italy on 18th April 2010, 2:34 am

ClareRoma wrote:The thing is we had a friend with a cat and she gave the cat water from the tap everyday to drink then after a few years the cat wasnt well and she took him to the vet. Apprently the vet said he had a build up of these minerals and they had turned into stones of some sort in his intestines and he had to be out down because of it.

When i heard this i though if thats what happened to a cat what is it doing to us?

I had a cat with the same problem back in Arizona. It's quite common and specific to cats, not us! My cat just had to drink distilled water (like you buy for the iron). Simple fix.

We drink bottled. I'm fine with tap, was raised on it, but it freaks my husband out (one of the only things he's uber-Italian about), so bottled it is. Though I'm trying to get him to switch over to glass bottles as I worry about the BPA in plastic...

View user profile

19 Re: Tap water in italy on 18th April 2010, 11:07 am

carrieitly wrote:
ClareRoma wrote:The thing is we had a friend with a cat and she gave the cat water from the tap everyday to drink then after a few years the cat wasnt well and she took him to the vet. Apprently the vet said he had a build up of these minerals and they had turned into stones of some sort in his intestines and he had to be out down because of it.

I had a cat with the same problem back in Arizona. It's quite common and specific to cats, not us! My cat just had to drink distilled water (like you buy for the iron). Simple fix.

We drink bottled. I'm fine with tap, was raised on it, but it freaks my husband out (one of the only things he's uber-Italian about), so bottled it is. Though I'm trying to get him to switch over to glass bottles as I worry about the BPA in plastic...

yeah I would go for glass too, the plastic thing is far more worrying than the mineral thing. I used to drink bottled all the time, coz I like frizzante, but now I only drink bottled if I have put it in the bottle myself, from the tap of course ha ha!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum