Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Pink Italy!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Italian men and swearing......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!

+3
jmisgro
ClareRoma
Lizzie
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Lizzie

Lizzie

Is it my man or do all Italian men have mouths like sewers? My OH works at the airport in a high pressured and unhappy office and he says they swear all day. He never used to swear, but now he comes home and my whole life is puntuated with expletives. He can't seem to do a single thing without a running commentary of swear words. Any minor things that goes wrong...the pen doesn't work, spilt water, any stupidaggine and out comes a torrent of invective! From oh madonna, porca miseria, porca Guda, che palle, stronzo etc.. At least not any cursing, (but it slips out sometimes). I try not to swear in front of the kids and stick to sugar! or che pizza! and I don't want the kids to grow up thinking it is normal. But not just that, it is the constant chuntering....it is driving me crazy.. Yeasterday I told him if he didn't stop it I would go crazy...why can't he do things in silence like everyone else! ? Is it just me??????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Alex always complains when i visit my family in the UK and come back as i start swearing alot after seeing them because my little sister is always swearing and usinf the f-word alot and i just seem to pick it up! I dont even notice im doing it!!

https://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

Lizzie

Lizzie

the f word is my favorite...it is so versatile!

D does it all the time, in face I think Claire's Alex is the only Italian I know who doesn't swear constantly. I don't mind it though because I have the worst sailor mouth of anyone.

Lizzie

Lizzie

G doesn't swear in normal conversation, he is actually quite well spoken, and never swears in English.... He only swears in Italian and only when he is frustrated/angry/upset etc. the thing is he swears all the time (ie he is one of those things all the time) and as soon as he starts to swear I know he is not in a good mood and my stomach starts to tie in knots! I can't stand the stress, especially as I can't help him coz his work life is really bad and he can't do anything about it. Italian men and swearing......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh! Icon_cry

jmisgro

jmisgro

My husband says mincia (is that how you spell it?). All the time...Sophia asked what it meant after I told not to say it so I told her (she's 10). She told me the children at school say it all the time.
I don't want my daughter saying penis all the time!

http://www.litlequeenrules.blogspot.com

Lizzie

Lizzie

'minchia' apparently it is Sicilian (which would make sense).
I wonder in what context the kids are using that word.....'look at my...' 'you are a ...' ???

jojofromvictoria

jojofromvictoria

"Minchia" is also used quite commonly here in Southern Calabria. Could be the Sicilian influence in this region. It is used as a figure of expression like Americans would use the word "sh_t". It can be used in many different manners. Somehow the south is fixated on male genitalia, as another common saying is "Che cazzo?" I am not an expert on the language or its uses but there are some things that can be quite funny to a non native speaker! lol!

Lizzie

Lizzie

what man isn't obsessed with his genitals?....With 4 males in the house I am 'over whelmed' to say the least, and I am pitied for not having a willy!
'che cazzo' is used in the same way as 'what the fk....?'. Another one I like is 'che palle!' ('balls', used to express frustration...che palle I have to go to work, che palle I spilt the milk....) but I use 'che pizza' instead, and of course there is 'non rompere le palle'...don't break my balls. Oh these men are obssessed with protecting their genitals. It would be funny I told thenm to stop breaking my vagina...especially after 3 natural births...it is more apt! Italian men and swearing......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh! Lol

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

i have heard both che palle and che cazzo they were some of the first expressions my Bf's friend taught me so i could express myself in italian! ROFL

Lizzie

Lizzie

ClareRoma wrote:i have heard both che palle and che cazzo they were some of the first expressions my Bf's friend taught me so i could express myself in italian! ROFL

That kinda negates Jessica's assertion that Alex is the only (virtually) swear free bloke in Italy! Maybe he is getting u to do his dirty work for him!!!! Italian men and swearing......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh! Lol

jojofromvictoria

jojofromvictoria

Ha Ha... As seen on a wall plate here in Calabria.. and fit for Christmas too! Le gente e come l'albero di natale..che sempre qualcuno chi rompe le palle!

Lizzie

Lizzie

jojofromvictoria wrote:Ha Ha... As seen on a wall plate here in Calabria.. and fit for Christmas too! Le gente e come l'albero di natale..che sempre qualcuno chi rompe le palle!

that's a good one!!!!!!!!!! Italian men and swearing......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh! Icon_razz

Frankie

Frankie

I know I'm joining this post late, but what about driving and swearing?
My BF (who is not Italian but did most of his growing up here) is an extremely sweary driver, porca miseria-ing, stronzo-ing and vaffan..-ing right from the second he turns on the engine.

The strangest thing is that often he swears and curses about other drivers even when he is in the wrong (although he doesn't seem to like me pointing that out to him).

Then when we reach our detination he is all smiley and stress-free, like he has let all the tension out, and I am a nervous wreck!

http://ramblingsfromrome.blogspot.com/

http://ramblingsfromrome.blogspot.com/

Lizzie

Lizzie

YEAH, my OH has a mouth like a sewer in the car..... Mad

bellaciao

bellaciao

I must say that I am the bad one with the swearing. I started it when I was really little and finally when I first moved here (when I was 19) started to not swear so much. However I worked at an equestrian center with all men and once I learned what they were saying... lets just say that I thought that *I* had a bad mouth!! I picked it right back up then. I quickly learned how to have a good fight in italian, but still could not carry on a conversation! Laughing
diana

ClareRoma

ClareRoma
Admin

Hee hee i would love to know how to have a fight in italian" you might have to teach some of us heehee Razz

bellaciao

bellaciao

nah, if you have a temper and know enough insults, you can do a pretty good job of it up here =) lol

carrieitly

carrieitly

I must say, I hear a lot of "minchia" here in Abruzzo. No

bellaciao

bellaciao

Yeah same here, but it is used by pretty much everyone, and I learned that it sort of means 'f**k'.

Lizzie

Lizzie

bellaciao wrote:Yeah same here, but it is used by pretty much everyone, and I learned that it sort of means 'f**k'.

my OH said it is a Sicilian way of saying 'dick', but it is used in the same way we use 'fk'.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum