Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy
Welcome to Pink Italy!
Pink Italy: Expat Ladies Living in Italy

A forum for expat women living in Italy, to swap ideas, make friends and seek advice!

You are not connected. Please login or register

My top 5 favorite books

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 My top 5 favorite books on 11th October 2009, 12:46 am

well i cant believe i havent posted on the book worm section yet when I am obssessed with reading, yes you can call me 4 eyes
My top 5 are...
1. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova ( amazing book which is a mix of thriller-history-geography- which keeps you on your toes )
2. Becoming Madame Mao - Anchee Min ( Chairman Maos wife's tale, Anchee min makes you want to learn chinese history, her stories are beautifully written ..also check out "The Last Concubine" and "Red Azalea" )
3. Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts ( about an ex-convict who escaped to Mumbai ( old bombay ) who basically lives undercover in a slum as a slum doctor/ for the mafia ect ect.. amazing book!!!! )
4. If This is a Man - Primo Levi ( just read this recently and let me tell you.. wow.. an italian jew who managed to survive Auswitch and the journey back to italy after the war.. only he was able to truly explain ( for me ) how life was like in the camps and peoples mentality during that time)
5. Monster of Florence- Mario Spezi/ douglas preston - ( the story behind Tuscanys serial killer the 'il mostro di firenze" and the shady dealings during the trial... VERY fascinating and also made me semi-obsessed with the current Amanda Knox case )

other great recent reads!
The girl with the dragon tattoo.. very fun!
3 cups of tea ..
the forever war..
girls of riyadh..

View user profile http://ggnitaly84.blogspot.com/

2 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 11th October 2009, 11:38 pm

Theres a series on Sky called the Monster of Florence i wonder if its the same story!

View user profile http://pinkitaly.forumotion.com

3 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th October 2009, 12:02 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I will have to try to find those....

Yes, have you seen the interview with the author of "The Monster of Florence," Douglas Preston, where he talks about his experience of being arrested and then basically told to leave Italy (or scared off enough to do so)? I'll have to try to find the link.

I'm fascinated by the Amanda Knox case, too, for a lot of different reasons.

View user profile

4 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th October 2009, 1:49 pm

Michele,

I have the Historian if your interested, just let me know. Oh and by the way.. welcome to Pink Italy.

View user profile http://www.facebook.com (DougandMichele Toto Rawson)

5 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th October 2009, 1:52 pm

I have seen that interview, his partner - co-writer mario spezi also spent alot of time in prison and the prosecuter ( Mignini who is ALSO the head prosecuter in the Knox case and still as crazy as before ) really made their lifes difficult.. You should also read Douglas prestons reaction to the Knox case. Personally i am surprised that they would let Mignini even BE the prosecuter for Meredith when he was undergoing an investigation for mishandling of the Monster case.. boh..

ijust finished "3 Cups of Tea" which was a GREAT and inspiring read and have Just started "The Gargoyle"..

6 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th October 2009, 2:08 pm

You both have me very interested in the Monster in Florence. That will be the next book on my list to read. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

View user profile http://www.facebook.com (DougandMichele Toto Rawson)

7 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 19th October 2009, 3:26 pm

Michele wrote:Michele,

I have the Historian if your interested, just let me know. Oh and by the way.. welcome to Pink Italy.

Thanks, Michele! I'm glad I saw Clare's link about this forum on one of the other forums. I like the fact that it's for women....

Oh, that would be great about "The Historian." I'll let you know if I'm ever in your area. :>)
-Michele

View user profile

8 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 22nd October 2009, 10:51 pm

the historian is amazing!!!! I just got done with "The Lovely Bones" and The "Gargoyle". both very good!

9 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 3rd November 2009, 10:51 am

I am SOOOOOOOOOo out of date with books as I don't ever get to go to bookshops (my favorite place ) and I have to rely on whatever I get given by friends. This is good in a way that it gets me to read authors I may never even have heard of, but not being able to browse the shelves means I don't know what is current or even what is out there! So I will want ALL of your recommendations! Currently on my bedside table are:
'Birds Without WIngs' by Louis de Bernières
'The Leopoard' Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
'The War of the Worlds' H:G:Wells ...(I have never read it, read half but I am a bit bored with it).
And just to prove I am so cultured Matteo and I are re-reading 'The Magic Faraway Tree' Enid Blyton.
I bought 'The girl with the dragon tatoo' for my Xmas present...myOH never knows what to get me, so I have started to buy myself any little treat I fancy...so far: earrings, books, cds, an excercise ball...I am bound to have the best xmas presents ever this year!!!)
Laughing

View user profile

10 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 15th January 2010, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the recommendations!

I second you on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo! I loved that entire series and even pre-ordered the last one, I was so anxious to get my hands on it.

View user profile

11 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th January 2010, 8:57 pm

Wow you guys are good!
I love Douglas Preston!

I just got the 1st Larsson book from amazon france. Right now I am reading an old Stuart Woods I got from a friend.
I read The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes this week.
I have also read The Hidden Family by Charles Stross.

I tried to read that Kingsolver book but it bored me. (Maybe from another thread)
I love Dennis Lehane, although I could not get into his last one.
Jane Austen is my fav along with Charlaine Harris!

View user profile http://www.litlequeenrules.blogspot.com

12 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th January 2010, 9:15 pm

One of my all time favs is Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks, I thought is was brilliant, and I though his novel 'Human Traces' was the pits...what a disappointment!
On a lighter note, I liked 'The Time Traveller's wife' although my copy has sadly gone AWOL, I think someone must have liked it too much!
hated 'Brick lane'

How do we set up a database/ review page where people can add their comments/ recommendations against the name of the book.....it would be good to find a easy way of comparing peoples opinions, ther is so much out there. (I am sure there must be a website for this kind of thing........???)

View user profile

13 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 16th January 2010, 10:36 pm

Lizzie wrote:One of my all time favs is Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks, I thought is was brilliant, and I though his novel 'Human Traces' was the pits...what a disappointment!

Oh, interesting. I've read Human Traces and absolutely HATED it. I therefore avoided Birdsong, reasoning that it would be similar, but maybe I should give it a go after all.

View user profile http://katebailward.com/drivinglikeamaniac

14 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 17th January 2010, 5:29 pm

Thanks for all these book reviews! Now I know what to order next time around! It keeps me from studying Italian, but what the heck! Reading cannot be a BAD habit can it?
(I suppose it could be if I was chain smoking and drinking vodka at the same time but who's gonna tell?)

In the meantime I was surprised no one responded to my recent post about the bookmooch site...maybe I posted it in the wrong subject? (Edit: Oops, I just checked and I did just see a few replies)

Anyways, I have joined and recommend that you check it out. It's a cool points system for bookworms like us! rabbit

http://bookmooch.com/

Last edited by lmarmstrong66 on 17th January 2010, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't get replies to an earlier thread, 3 ppl did reply to my earlier post)

View user profile http://www.lmarmstrong66.wordpress.com

15 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 4th February 2010, 6:12 pm

Katja wrote:
Lizzie wrote:One of my all time favs is Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks, I thought is was brilliant, and I though his novel 'Human Traces' was the pits...what a disappointment!

Oh, interesting. I've read Human Traces and absolutely HATED it. I therefore avoided Birdsong, reasoning that it would be similar, but maybe I should give it a go after all.

u should ABSOLUTELY

View user profile

16 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 6th February 2010, 9:21 am

just ordered off cd wow

Gregory David Roberts - Shantaram : £7.19
Elizabeth Kostova - Historian : £6.99
Douglas Preston - Monster of Florence : £5.99

free delivery

thanks for the tips girls!!!!

View user profile

17 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 10th February 2010, 1:34 am

Oooh some interesting ideas here.
To Katja- I am in agreement with Lizzie you should read Birdsong, it is amazingly moving. I read Charlotte Grey afterwards and didn't like it half as much. Is it possible Faulks has only written one book that we all like?!
I've also read The Historian and really enjoyed it.
I've just started reading Kate Atkinson's "Not the End of the World". It seems quite surreal so far.

View user profile http://ramblingsfromrome.blogspot.com/

18 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 10th February 2010, 12:42 pm

Frankie wrote:Oooh some interesting ideas here.
To Katja- I am in agreement with Lizzie you should read Birdsong, it is amazingly moving. I read Charlotte Grey afterwards and didn't like it half as much. Is it possible Faulks has only written one book that we all like?!
I've also read The Historian and really enjoyed it.
I've just started reading Kate Atkinson's "Not the End of the World". It seems quite surreal so far.

I think u may be right about faulks. maybe he has only written one good book period! I have got some Kate Atkinson, let me knw how u get on with that one.

And Katja let me know if u get around to reading Atwood's Alias Grace, it really is a good read.

I love cd wow, if u buy 10 products you get a voucher for the average value and so you get to choose something for free. I just got a £10 one, I think I'll get another book off the recommended titles in this section. I am so happy!

View user profile

19 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 10th February 2010, 2:28 pm

Lizzie wrote:And Katja let me know if u get around to reading Atwood's Alias Grace, it really is a good read.

I've read it a few times, but not for a few years now. It's on my bookshelf in England at the moment. Smile

Not the End of the World was the first Kate Atkinson book that I read, and I really enjoyed it. I therefore bought Case Histories, which is a longform novel, rather than short stories, and loved it. I then decided to try Behind the Scenes at the Museum, on the recommendation of a few people, but realised that there are an awful lot of crossovers in the types of characters that she'd created in the books, which was disappointing. I felt like I was just reading the same thing over again. Last year I tried to read Human Croquet, but just couldn't get into it. In conclusion, therefore, I think she's a bit hit and miss. When she's on form she's fabulous, but it's not guaranteed.

I don't know why I've just thought of this one (no, actually, I do - it's because it was given to me by the same person that gave me Not the End of the World, but that's not relevant!), but If No-One Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor is a beautiful book. It's a slow starter, but gathers momentum and suddenly you find you are caught up entirely in what's happening and you just can't put it down. It made me gasp and it made me cry, and I think everyone should read it. So there. Wink

View user profile http://katebailward.com/drivinglikeamaniac

20 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 10th February 2010, 3:43 pm

Katja wrote:
Lizzie wrote:And Katja let me know if u get around to reading Atwood's Alias Grace, it really is a good read.

I've read it a few times, but not for a few years now. It's on my bookshelf in England at the moment. Smile

Not the End of the World was the first Kate Atkinson book that I read, and I really enjoyed it. I therefore bought Case Histories, which is a longform novel, rather than short stories, and loved it. I then decided to try Behind the Scenes at the Museum, on the recommendation of a few people, but realised that there are an awful lot of crossovers in the types of characters that she'd created in the books, which was disappointing. I felt like I was just reading the same thing over again. Last year I tried to read Human Croquet, but just couldn't get into it. In conclusion, therefore, I think she's a bit hit and miss. When she's on form she's fabulous, but it's not guaranteed.

I don't know why I've just thought of this one (no, actually, I do - it's because it was given to me by the same person that gave me Not the End of the World, but that's not relevant!), but If No-One Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor is a beautiful book. It's a slow starter, but gathers momentum and suddenly you find you are caught up entirely in what's happening and you just can't put it down. It made me gasp and it made me cry, and I think everyone should read it. So there. Wink

I have read Behind the Scenes at the Museum and Human Croquet: I think they were ok, but they haven't left a lasting impression, on my shelf I have One good turn, but even after reading the sleeve i can't remember it much!
A friend gave me about 8 books by Fiona FForde. she does the same story with basically the same heroine, she just changes the venues...what a load of crap!!! They are useful to lend to my advanced English students though!
right, off to check what cdwow says about mcgregor.....

View user profile

21 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 2nd March 2010, 5:21 pm

just finished reading 'the girl who played with fire' very good read.

View user profile

22 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 18th March 2010, 4:06 pm

Great thread! Very Happy I am constantly amazed with how many Expats (esp. women!!) seem to be really big readers. I've recently spent 6years of my life slogging my guts out to get an OU degree in Liturature so it's only been in the last few months that I've been able to actually read what I want for a change!

Do you all know about The Book Depository?? There is an English site and a US site now and they offer prices pretty similar to Amazon but with free world-wide delivery? I love them!

I am currently reading The Rotweiler by Ruth Rendall and I am really enjoying it. I too loved Birdsong, but have not read Human Traces... I did enjoy Charlotte Grey though too but not as much as Birdsong. It was actually a book I read and then wished I hadn't finished quite so quickly. I've only just read the DaVinci Code too which was better in book form than in film form I thought. I must get those 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' books too... everyone seems to either be reading them or has recently finished them...

View user profile

23 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 18th March 2010, 7:07 pm

indiebird wrote:Great thread! to actually read what I want for a change!

Do you all know about The Book Depository?? There is an English site and a US site now and they offer prices pretty similar to Amazon but with free world-wide delivery? I love them!

wow, now I seriously love you. just spent an age looking at the above site (whilst officially I was waiting for the floors to dry), it is FANTASTIC! almost like a real bookshop! boy am I gonna be spending some serious time on that site. THANK YOU!!! study I love you

View user profile

24 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 19th March 2010, 12:32 am

Lizzie wrote:wow, now I seriously love you. just spent an age looking at the above site (whilst officially I was waiting for the floors to dry), it is FANTASTIC! almost like a real bookshop! boy am I gonna be spending some serious time on that site. THANK YOU!!! study I love you

Why do I have visions of a husband that is going to hate me when he gets the Credit Card bill and neglected unfed kids??!! Rolling Eyes Wink ...... oh no that's just my own life!! lol!

View user profile

25 Re: My top 5 favorite books on 19th March 2010, 9:55 am

indiebird wrote:

Why do I have visions of a husband that is going to hate me when he gets the Credit Card bill and neglected unfed kids??!! Rolling Eyes Wink ...... oh no that's just my own life!! lol!

fear not, I have my own (fast depleting) bank account in England and I use that account for my 'keep me sane' treats! As for the kids...that's a whole other story. They already say I spend all day on my computer, just don't tell Daddy!!!! Wink

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum